U.S. Navy Enlisted Men's Blue Cap "Flat Hat"
First authorized in the 1833 the flat hat was eliminated on 1 April 1963. Officially named blue cap, and was described in the regulations as "round cap, without visor, made of thick blue wool." The original hats did not officially have unit names on the front of the cap ribbon, these came into being after the Civil War. The unit name was dropped in 1941 for security reasons and the generic U.S. Navy was substituted for the unit name. From 1833-1883 the cap was approx. nine inches across the top, from 1883-1933 it became eleven inches across and from 1933-1963 it went back to being nine inches across the top. The flat hat was issued to enlisted male recruits in boot camp through early 1963.
Copyright © 2006-2020
NavyCollector.com, All Rights Reserved